Sunday, September 19, 2010

Detour

 I have re-started a regular exercise schedule and though the lb's aren't budging, the spirit is shaping up.
Here's a quick "run" down of my exercize history. I was in a car accident in 2001 that eventually lead me to the hospital for pain management in my lower back. After a couple epidural steroid injections and months of physical therapy I was asked to walk to rehab my injury. In my typical impatience, walking took too long and one day I started to jog. It hurt everywhere... but it was faster. I signed up for a half marathon in May of 2002 and ran a full marathon in the fall of 2003. Competing in duathlons (run, bike,run) and 1/2 marathon events was a great experience. To see human triumph is truly inspiring. The last full marathon was in January of 2007. The last duathlon was in October 2007. I would consider another 1/2 marathon somewhere in the future, though the full's and the duathlons are likely part of the past.
I still have issues with my lower back though light exercise seams to keep it manageable. More recently I have just three "very" rules for running.
  
Not very fast.
Not very far.
Not very often ;-)

What does this have to do with song writing?
Prior to 1999 I smoked about a pack a day and ran only when chased. I took my health for granted. After being bed ridden for two weeks and after months of rehab; I was given a gift. Not only could I walk, but I could run, bike and swim. (Even hang glided once.) Until the last three years I had picked up the guitar only as a trick. I took my gift for granted.

It's another beautiful, sunny Sunday morning. I'm taking the dog for a run this morning and playing and singing for 200 friends this evening. May the road you're on be blessed.      

1 comment: